The UK has detected a brand new variation of Covid-19 that England’s chief medical officer says its extra contagious that earlier variants.
Professor Chris Whitty says “pressing work” is underway to rule out if the brand new pressure, prevalent within the south east of England, may cause the next mortality fee.
“There is no such thing as a present proof to recommend the brand new pressure causes the next mortality fee or that it impacts vaccines and coverings though pressing work is underway to substantiate this,” he mentioned in an announcement.
This is what else we all know.
What we all know concerning the variant:
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson mentioned the brand new variant could possibly be as much as 70% extra transmissible than the previous variant, though there’s nonetheless “appreciable uncertainty.”
The place it has been detected:
- The World Well being Group says the brand new variant has additionally been recognized in Denmark, the Netherlands and Australia.
- Australia mentioned on Monday that it had detected two instances of the brand new variant in Australian quarantine services.
What different international locations are doing in response:
- Greater than a dozen international locations are banning journey from the UK in response to the brand new variant.
- These international locations embrace the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany.
- Different international locations are imposing restrictions — the Czech Republic has imposed a 10-day necessary quarantine on anybody arriving from the UK.