Thor runs aboard container ships on the Atlantic, walks inside flooded caves, and wakes up with unusual bugs. He’s now caught in Hong Kong, and is 9 nations wanting ending his world tour.
Torbjørn C Pedersen, the globe-trotting Dane higher referred to as Thor, has travelled to 194 nations with out ever taking a flight! On a mission to go all over the world with out flying, Thor’s modes of transport have included container ships, shrimp trawlers, fishing boats, ferries, public buses and trains. “I used to be on board a working ship within the Caribbeans. The captain didn’t like me, so I needed to sleep on the ground within the kitchen. It was greasy,” laughs Thor, who’s now 9 nations wanting finishing his mission.
Thor, 41, a goodwill ambassador for the Danish Pink Cross, set out on this floor journey on October 10, 2013 — “at 10.10 am from Dybbøl Mølle, Denmark after which I crossed into Germany,” he says — as a part of a partly self-funded venture As soon as Upon a Saga. Nevertheless, the present COVID-19 pandemic chained this intrepid traveller down in Hong Kong.
His subsequent cease was purported to be the island of Palau. “No person is aware of how lengthy I’ll be right here for,” says Thor over a video name from Hong Kong, including, “Hong Kong is the perfect place to be in. They’ve dealt with it properly. We’re free to stroll about: cafés and outlets had been open. Cinemas and museums shut for a few weeks however are opening up now.” The borders stay shut although. “The container ships decided that non-essential individuals can not come aboard and people on board can not go away,” he says.
His preliminary plan was to remain in Hong Kong for 4 days however now it has been 118 days. His subsequent transfer relies on which nation opens up its borders. “For instance, if New Zealand opens up, I’ll head there after which work my manner throughout to the opposite locations.” And if the world goes again to regular tomorrow, it should nonetheless take him 10 months to finish the remaining route, which contains Palau, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Samoa, Tonga, New Zealand, Australia, the Maldives and Sri Lanka.
Lighting the wanderlust fuse
- The thought to set out on the grand journey happened when Thor’s father despatched him a newspaper article about travelling all over the world, and he realised it isn’t essential to be a millionaire to do this. “It’s estimated that 230 individuals have gone to each nation on the planet and no one has achieved it with no flight.”
- Earlier than setting out on this journey, Thor had a 12-year profession with delivery and logistics. He has labored in Libya, Bangladesh and lots of different locations across the globe. Previous to that, he was within the Danish military and with the United Nations.
- Ross DK, a Danish firm, sponsors 50% of this venture and the remaining is self-funded. “I’ve taken two loans and offered personal belongings and lots of great individuals have supported the venture by making donations.” he says. Thor’s per day price range is US$ 20.
- He principally stays in hostels as it’s simple and low-cost. He additionally sleeps on buses, trains and ships. Generally lodges attain out to him. In Hong Kong, he’s staying with a household that supplied him a room.
- What does he carry with him? A sleeping bag, a hammock, numerous clothes, books, electronics, laptop computer, first support, Pink Cross gear, trainers. “I’m going operating anyplace on the planet. I run lots on the container ships. They’ve gyms. So I can say I used to be operating on the Atlantic!”
It has been exhausting not going residence the final six-and-a-half years. “Generally, it is vitally tempting to take a look at the airport and suppose my fiancée is at residence, and finish this journey, go residence, put on regular garments,” says Thor. However each time he wins the psychological battle and pushes on together with his mission. Whereas 80% of the journey has been pretty straight ahead, Thor says paperwork is all the time a problem: visas, paper work and examine factors. He says, “There’s a large distinction if you journey to a rustic by flight and with out it. Within the airport there’s a excessive diploma of safety. It’s far more troublesome to cross the land borders.” Nevertheless it has all been price it, he says, fondly recalling the New Yr’s Eve of 2018 that he spent in Amritsar after his fiancée flew down to hitch him. “There have been firecrackers above the Golden Temple,” he says excitedly. He then went to Delhi to fulfill with the Pink Cross (he has visited 189 Pink Cross models throughout the globe) and Mumbai.
Thor has picked up new expertise alongside the best way. “I do know my capabilities, I’m much more assured, however I’m additionally humble as a result of what I’ve completed is with the assistance of individuals,” he says. He has additionally acquired a beard alongside the best way, which is one thing he intends to removes when his fiancée visits subsequent. “Individuals can have a look at my face and say how lengthy it’s been since I’ve seen her,” he laughs.
Thor is of the opinion that the individuals make a rustic attention-grabbing. By way of this journey, he additionally desires to show that as a foreigner, one can go to any nation, meet good individuals, and really feel protected. “I’ve been travelling in public transport, consuming at native meals stalls and I’m nonetheless alive. No person reduce, stabbed or kidnapped me. Persons are simply individuals. Throughout we’re doing the identical factor however in numerous methods. We care about barbecue, social media, selfies, we get caught in visitors. We don’t need conflict, terrorism, bother. We simply need to carve out a bit for ourselves and our household,” he concludes.
Thor paperwork his journey at www.onceuponasaga.dk